Click HERE for a printable version of this pattern.
A top down basic knit with an “afterthought” heel, such fun to knit while watching a cascade of Uneek color stripes spiral from top rib to toe.
CLASSIC SOCK PATTERN:
- Materials: 1 kit Urth Uneek Sock
- 75% merino, 25% nylon
- 2 skeins 50g each
- Size: Adult S, M, L
- 6.5 (7.5, 8)"/16.25 (18.25, 20.3)cm at widest point on calf and foot
- US 1 / 2.25 mm 9" circular needle, or DPNs
- US 0 / 2 mm 9" circular needle or DPNs
- 1 Stitch marker
- Small stitch holder
- Tapestry Needle
- 20" waste yarn for grafting
- Gauge: 40 sts x 38= 4" square stockinette on US 1s
- CO - Cast on
- Cont - Continue
- DPNs - Double pointed needles
- K - Knit
- M1 - make one stitch
- P - Purl
- Psso - Pass Slip Stitch Over
- P2tog - Purl two stitches together
- PM - Place marker
- Rep - Repeat
- RS - Right side
- Sl - Slip
- SM - Slip marker
- Sts - Stitches
- YO - Yarn over
- W&T - Wrap and turn
- WS - Wrong side
Pattern Notes: In order to maintain the dimension of the striping, the heel is knit after the toe. The waste yarn used to maintain tension and pattern of the striping as the sock transitions from the leg over the ankle and onto the foot is removed and the heel is knit in the round. If using circular needles a second set will be needed to complete the toes and heels or a set of DPNs may be used.
- CO 64 (72, 80) sts using smaller circular needle, PM to denote EOR.
- Round 1: *K1, p1* to EOR.
- Rep Round 1 until work measures 1 3/4"
- Switch to larger needle
- Knit in rounds until work measures 7 1/4 (7 1/2, 8) inches from cast on edge
Heel Preparation and Foot:
- To maintain color repeat, cut working yarn leaving 4" tail that will be woven in during finishing.
- Make a bobbin using two color repeats (two full stripes worth) from the cake of working yarn, set aside for heel construction which is completed after the toe.
- Heel Round: Using working yarn, k3 (4, 6), using waste yarn k26 (28, 30) leave 3" tail and cut waste yarn.
- Return these sts back to the left needle.
- Reknit these sts using the working yarn. 64 (72, 80) sts
- Knit in rounds until work measures 5 1/2 (6, 6 1/2) inches from Heel Round.
- Transition work divided onto two DPNs such that half the stitches are on each DPN and the EOR marker is at the end of the second DPN. The EOR marker may be attached directly to the work rather than held at the end of the DPN to ensure consistent tension while completing the toe box.
- Round 1: K1, ssk, k to 3 sts from end of first DPN, k2tog, k1, rep from * on second DPN.
- Round 2: Knit
- Rep rounds 1 - 2 until 8 (12, 16) sts rem.
- Using kitchener stitch, join two sets of sts to close toe.
- With RS facing, remove waste yarn and place stitches onto two DPNs. 26 (28, 30) sts per DPN.
- Round 1: *K1, sl1, k1 psso, k to last 3 sts on DPN, k2tog, k1, rep from *.
- Round 2: Knit.
- Rep Rounds 1 - 2 until 16 (18, 20) sts rem.
- Using kitchener stitch, join two sets of sts to close heel.
- Using tapestry needle, weave in ends.