Click HERE for a printable version of this pattern.
CABLED INSERT STRIPED SOCK PATTERN:
- Materials: 1 kit Urth Uneek Sock
- 75% merino, 25% nylon
- 2 skeins 50g each
- Size: Teen, Adult S, M, L
- 7.5 (8.75, 9.75, 11, 12, 13)"/19 (22, 24, 27, 30 32)cm at widest point of foot.
- US 1 (2.25mm) DPNs
- US 0 (2mm) DPNs
- 3 Stitch markers; 2 of the same color to denote cable field, one of different color to denote EOR.
- Tapestry Needle
- Gauge: 36 sts x 48= 4" square stockinette on US 1s
- BO - Bind off
- C1F - Cross one st in front of the next stitch, simple single cross
- CO - Cast on
- Cont - Continue
- DPNs - Double pointed needles
- Foll - Follows
- K - Knit
- Kf&b - Knit into the front of the stitch and the back of the same stitch, a simple M1
- M1 - make one stitch
- P - Purl
- Ptbl - Purl through the back of the loom
- P2tog - Purl two stitches together
- PM - Place marker
- Rep - Repeat
- RS - Right side
- Sl - Slip
- SM - Slip marker
- Sts - Stitches
- YO - Yarn over
- W&T - Wrap and turn
- WS - Wrong side
- Special Stitch:
- Cable Rounds 4 st repeat
- Round 1,2,4: P1, k2, p1
- Round 3: P1, C1F, P1
Pattern Notes: Knit from the toe up these socks are knit in the round using a set of DPNs. 9"/22cm circulars may be used for knitting of the calf and foot however it is recommended that the knitter use DPNs for the initial cast on to maintain tension until the requisite number of sts are cast on and the toe box is completed. Heal is turned using only the second needle knit flat back and forth, m1 increase on heel flap may be done using kf&b or yo. If yo is used on RS row, ptbl on WS to maintain tension.The average US woman's size, 8 is approximately 9"/22 cm, adult small herein. For an optimal fit, try the sock on the intended foot before and after each section is worked.
- Using Turkish cast on, wrap two DPNs with 11(13, 15, 17, 19, 21) sts.
- Using the third DPN begin to knit off the top needle..
- Flip work, repeat to complete the cast on process - 22(26, 30, 34, 38, 42) sts.
- Knit two rounds.
- Round 3: On first DPN, k1, m1r, K to last st on first DPN, M1l, k1, rep on second DPN.
- Round 4: Knit
- Rep Rounds 3 - 4 until there are 25 (29, 33, 37, 41, 45) sts on each DPN. - 50 (58, 66, 74, 82, 90) sts
- PM on first needle after stitch 11 (13, 15, 17, 19, 21) and after stitch 15 (17, 19, 21, 23, 25) to demark the cable field.
If the use of two circular needles is preferred, transition stitches to circular needles before proceeding.
Toe Box to Gusset:
- Round 1, 2, 4: K to m on first needle, sm, P1, k2, p1, sm, k to end of first needle, k across second needle
- Round 3: K to m on first needle, sm, P1, C1F, P1, sm, k to end of first needle, k across second needle.
- Rep Rounds 1-4 until work measures approximately 2.75" short of desired length of foot ending with round 4.
To maintain the cable panel along the top of the foot, gusset increases will only be done on the second needle.
- Round 1: K to m on first needle, sm, P1, k2, p1, sm, k to end of first needle, on second needle, k1, m1r, k to last st, m1l, k1.
- Round 2: K to m on first needle, sm. P1, k2, p1, sm, k to end of first needle, k across second needle.
- Round 3: K to m on first needle, sm, p1, c1f, p1, sm, k to end of first needle, on second needle, k1, m1r, k to last st, m1l, k1.
- Round 4: Rep Round 2.
- Rep Rounds 1-4 until 43 (49, 55, 61,67, 73) sts on second needle.
Working only on second needle, cont as foll:
- Row 1 (RS): K30 (34, 38, 42, 46, 50), m1, k1, w&t.
- Row 2 (WS): P19 (21, 23, 25, 27, 29), m1, p1, w&t.
- Row 3: K17 (19, 21, 23, 25, 27), m1, k1, w&t.
- Row 4: P15 (17, 19, 21, 23, 25), m1, p1, w&t.
- Row 5: K13 (15, 17, 19, 21, 23), m1, k1, w&t.
- Row 6: P11 (13, 15, 17, 19, 21), m1, p1, w&t.
- Row 7: K9 (11, 13, 15, 17, 19), m1, k1, w&t.
- Row 8: P7 (9, 11, 13, 15, 17), m1, p1, w&t.
- 51 (57, 63, 69, 75, 81) sts on second needle.
Working only on second needle, cont as foll, knitting together stitches with corresponding wraps as you come to them:
- Row 1 (RS): K37 (42, 47, 52, 57, 62), k2tog, turn work.
- Row 2 (WS): Sl1, p23 (27, 31, 35, 39, 43), p2tog, turn work.
- Row 3 (RS): K24 (28, 32, 36, 40, 44), k2tog, turn work
- Rep rows 2 - 3 until the heel is turned and the stitch count on DPN 2 is the same as that of DPN 1. 25 (29, 33, 37, 41, 45) sts ending on a WS row.
Continue working in the round. PM to denote end of round. If preferred, all sts may be transitioned to a single 9"/22cm circular needle before proceeding.
- Rounds 1, 2, 4: K to m, P1, k2, p1, k to EOR.
- Round 3: K to m, P1, C1F, p1, k to EOR.
- Rep Rounds 1-4 until work measures approximately 9" from base of heel.
Switch to smaller needle
- Round 1: *K2, p2* to EOR.
- Rep Round 1 until 3 1/2" ribbing is completed.
- BO all sts.
- Using tapestry needle and approximately 12" of yarn, whip stitch along transition between toe box and top of foot to create a false seam for additional visual interest.
- Using tapestry needle, weave in ends.
- Wash per ball band instructions